http://StevenCox.com. Even with the unemployment rate in San Diego hovering around 10%, the city’s startup scene is bustling with activity and creating new jobs for San Diegans. TakeLessons.com CEO, Steven Cox, talks about the 10x100x100 event where 10 startup companies that have collectively raised over $100 million in venture capital and will be hiring 100 new employees next year.
A lot of technical and web people move to the San Francisco area to find work, but you’re saying there’s work right here and they don’t have to move?
• That’s Right!
• Cheaper to buy and rent housing here than in other hotbeds such as SV, NYC.
• A lot of startups are hiring
What’s it like working for a startup?
• Incredible! Faster pace. Quicker decisions. My startup: http://TakeLessons.com
For College Graduates:
o Instead of making coffee, make a difference.
o No cogs in the wheel
o Chance to work on things at a young age — (BEST BUY example)
For Senior people
o A chance to take your knowledge and build something you’re proud of.
o Make a positive, lasting impact.
o Grow leaders underneath you.
o Potential stock upside
Everyday, I wake up thankful that I get to go to work.
o Focused on building the new sort of company.
• A company with a conscious.
• A company that makes more than money, it makes a positive difference.
o Awesome people all focused on building a great company.
o Super laid-back dress code.
o No politics.
A lot of young Internet companies didn’t make it in the dotcom crash. What should a job prospect consider when looking at startups?
Not all startups are created equal.
• Management — is there adult supervision? People who have built and ran companies before.
• Culture — Do they have a strong sense of purpose, yet flexible enough to change on a dime.
• Funding — are they well-funded. http://CrossLinkCapital.com
• Product or Service — is it something that truly adds value to people’s lives?
What type of jobs do startups hire for and what tips do you have on landing a job there?
• Big focus on Software engineering, product management and developmet, IT
• Marketing, Sales, Customer Support, Finance, HR
Tell us a little bit about the 10 x 100 x 100 event.
• 6pm Dec 1 at Sweet Labs (http://sweetlabs.com)
• Joe Kraus — Google Ventures focused on mobile, gaming, local services
• Michael Robertson — SD Local tech hero. MP3.com
• Focused on engineering and product talent
More information can be found at these sites:
http://10x100x100 and http://StevenCox.com